Connecticut/Massachusetts Attorney Sean F. Monahan

How do I know if bankruptcy is right for me?

Deciding whether to file for bankruptcy is an important decision that should not be taken lightly. It is important that you understand the benefits to filing, as well as any potential disadvantages. As a lawyer in the States of Connecticut and Massachusetts, I will take the time to inform you of your legal rights and how bankruptcy may affect you. I can assess your unique financial situation to determine whether you may qualify to file under Chapter 7, or if Chapter 13 is the better option for you.

Will filing for bankruptcy eliminate all of my debt?

Although a successful bankruptcy will result in the discharge of your debt, the discharge typically applies only to unsecured debt. This includes personal loans, credit cards, and related debt. This typically does not apply to taxes and child support or alimony obligations. However, I can look over your particular case to see what debt you may be able to eliminate.

Will I lose my home or all my assets when I file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

A common misconception is that if you file for bankruptcy you will lose everything: your house, your car, your other valuable property. This is simply not the case. Certain property is protected under Federal and Connecticut and Massachusetts law. And depending on your unique situation, certain debts for assets not otherwise protected may be reaffirmed provided you have the financial ability to do so.

What is “personal injury”?

Personal injury is an area of law that deals with physical and mental injuries sustained because of another person’s negligence, recklessness or intentional wrongdoing. For example, a driver who is driving drunk and causes an auto accident may be sued in civil court by anyone who was injured in the accident.

What are my legal rights after an accident?

If you were injured in an accident caused by another person, you may be able to work with an attorney to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit against the responsible party. This suit would be filed in civil court, where you would seek monetary damages for medical care, lost earnings and other losses you sustained as a result of the incident.

For help with your bankruptcy or personal injury legal matter, call, Attorney Sean F. Monahan at (860) 928-0789 today. Evening and weekend appointments available.